Who We Are
Your Safe Haven, Inc. (YSH) officially opened on July 1, 1996 as Bedford County’s first comprehensive crime victims’ center. YSH is a 501(c)3 private, non-profit corporation working within Bedford County, PA. This new, comprehensive victim service program was based on the fundamental beliefs that:
- All individuals, regardless of their race, religion, sex or gender, national origin, ethnic origin, ancestry, religion or religious creed, age, sexual orientation or mental/physical disabilities, have a right to live their lives free of emotional, physical and sexual violence.
- Violence in any form is not an acceptable way to control the behavior of others.
- Communities have a responsibility to respond to victims of violence in their neighborhoods with help in the form of safe and accessible shelter, supportive and confidential counseling, appropriate medical care, financial assistance, legal advocacy and accompaniment.
- The effects of violence are not isolated to individual victims. It traumatizes family members and negatively impacts children who observe or hear it. Family members of crime victims have a right to receive support, information and assistance in dealing with their individual reactions to violence.
- Societal norms and prejudices that perpetuate the existence of violence in our society and in our families must be eliminated through community education and continuous efforts to promote social change within communities.
YSH provides direct services to approximately 1,400-1,500 adults and children each year.
The effects of violence are not isolated to individual victims. Victims of crime and their families often experience fear, loss of security, isolation, violation, helplessness, anxiety, uncertainty, sleep disturbances, and feeling overwhelmed. These are common reactions. If you or someone you love has been a victim of a crime, let them know that assistance is available to help them heal from their experience by calling 814-623-7664 or toll free at 1-800-555-5671. All services are free and confidential.